Monday, January 28, 2013

Those Marvelous Vaporetto Marinai


After two years of living here I still marvel at the infinite patience regularly exhibited by the crews on the vaporetti. I don't know how they manage it, but I've yet to see one of them lose his or her patience with even the most clueless of tourists or the most temperamental of locals.

They say that the sea shore is rich in positive ions--whatever those are--which make one feel good just to be near it. Is the surface of the lagoon also rich in positive ions, and are these what give i marinai their poise?

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that they are called marinai--or sailors--which lends their job a certain romance usually lacking in other employment involving a fixed route.

Sandro has idealized them ever since we arrived here, and still renders our living room entirely unpassable as he ropes one dining room chair to another, the handle of a cabinet to a distant door knob, the leg of our couch to an arm chair, in imitation of the marinai tying up their vaporetto at each stop. 

Perhaps I'm so struck by their manners because I moved here from New York City, where people who work in the public transportation sector, in the subways and buses, are generally the least helpful people you'll meet in the city. In fact, contrary to an old cliché, most New Yorkers are only too happy to respond to a stranger's request for directions. Unless you happen to be asking a New York City bus driver about his own route, in which case your chances of getting too far greatly decrease.

But the other day, i marinai exceeded even their own remarkable standards of helpfulness. I was running for a vaporetto in Sant' Elena and had gotten no closer than perhaps 100 yards from the pontile or dock when the boat began to pull away. It was the 4.1 line, and it was departing from the right of the two pontili that make up the Sant' Elena stop, heading in the direction of Lido. I stopped running and resigned myself to catching the next one, when I noticed that the departing vaporetto suddenly slowed and started to drift toward the pontile just ahead of it, the pontile from which one catches a vaporetto to Piazza San Marco.

Perhaps something's gone wrong with the engine, I thought, as a vaporetto running the 4.1 route would never pull into that particular pontile. I began to walk faster just to see what was going on with the vaporetto, then arrived at the pontile to find that, in fact, the driver had pulled the vaporetto up, the crewman had slid open the door, and they were waiting for--me. Only for me. I looked around. I was the only one there.

I didn't even think they'd seen me running, as I wasn't running along the waterside, but straight toward the stop, out of the depths of the park.    

So, as carnevale now begins and the tourists--after oh-so-short a hiatus following New Year's Eve--return in vast bovine masses, packing the vaporetti with long-term camping rucksacks on their backs and huge bags left lying heavily everywhere they aren't supposed to be, it seems a good time to salute those folks who help make Venice's public transportation system the most pleasant I've ever depended upon.

10 comments:

  1. Well said, Signore. I'm with Sandro. I love to watch the guys tie up with that special knot. Our son lives in NY and, as you say, the New Yorkers are very helpful and generally polite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps its the opportunity of tossing the rope and tying that special knot that keeps them in a decent mood, Andrew? Or maybe it's just the view.

      Delete
  2. Oh, your story brought tears to my sentimental eyes. (The rest of me is really tough, I assure you.) How do those marinai keep their cool day in day out, with klutzes local and international! Too bad some of them aren't on the board of management of this transport company. They might get finances sorted out quite promptly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you and me both, Yvonne, are tough as snails--which sounds much more impressive when you say it fast than when it's written. I'm afraid if they were given positions in management their moods would become much much worse very quickly.

      Delete
  3. Yes! I am always amazed at their patience and politeness, it is truly remarkable. I love to watch them assist elderly or infirm passengers on and off the vaporetti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Susie, anyone who requires additional help or extra time, including kids, they're great with. Gondolieri have rather bad reputations among Venetians who don't have gondolieri in their own family, but I've never heard any Venetian remark on how good the marinai are; perhaps they assume transportation people are like that everywhere & take them for granted?

      Delete
    2. BTW, I think I am in the "tough as snails" club with you and Yvonne. ;)

      Delete
    3. It's only fair to give everyone warning, Susie.

      Delete
  4. Dear Steven, the marvel in front of the patience of these marinai is even greater taking into account that many are ciozoti/chiozzotti, and how Goldoni let them saying "le Chiozotte xé baruffante"...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They must have mellowed over the decades & centuries since Goldoni, Francesco! Or perhaps they save it all for when they return to Chioggia?

      Siete in Venezia adesso?

      Delete